Copy and Publishing Policy
Salem County Historical Society
Copy and Publishing Policy
While some library materials may be photocopied or digitally reproduced, others cannot, either because of potential for damage or some other restriction, such as copyright infringement. Items will be photocopied only according to “fair use” provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Photocopy, Image Reproduction and Publishing Policies
- Copies of a limited number of pages from manuscripts, archival materials, or printed materials may be made for private study, scholarship, or research use only.
- For any documents or images still under copyright and the copyright is not held by the Salem County Historical Society [SCHS], the requestor must seek permission from the creator of the work or current copyright holder.
- The library assumes no responsibility for any literary property right or copyright which may be involved; it is entirely incumbent upon the reader to obtain these special permissions.
- Researchers are not permitted to take photographs of any research materials.
- Patrons may make photocopies of materials using the Society’s photocopy machine with the permission of the librarian. Archival materials may require the assistance of the librarian; in some cases photocopies may not be permitted for fragile materials.
- Photocopies and computer print-offs are subject to a predetermined fee structure.
- Effective January 1, 2005, digital reproductions of library materials may be requested by patrons of the library. The use of digital reproductions are subject to the same copyright laws mentioned above.
- Requests for digital reproductions are subject to fee structures for non-commercial and commercial use.
- Non-commercial use is defined as any image used by a non-profit organization or as part of any not-for-profit scholarly enterprise, especially for educational purposes and/or cultural enhancement; or for personal study or reference.
- Commercial use is defined as any image used by a for-profit enterprise, or in any profit-making venture, for the purposes of creating, illustrating, advertising, marketing, or commemorating a product.
- Reproduced images may not be altered in any matter without the written consent of SCHS.
- SCHS reserves the right to limit use of images in a manner that SCHS deems to be detrimental to SCHS or the donor of the material.
- Written permission must be granted prior to publication for any image from the SCHS collections.
- When images are published, SCHS must be acknowledged as the source. The credit line must read “Collection of the Salem County (NJ) Historical Society” and must appear on the same page.