The Salem County Historical Society Museum Collection
The Salem County Historical Society has been collecting objects related to the history of our communities since our founding in 1884. The result is a rich collection in terms of both depth and variety. The collection is the key to everything we do on the museum side and its care, preservation and exhibition is our top priority. In total, the museum collection of the Salem County Historical Society numbers over 10,000 objects.
At the heart of our collection is our furniture. With a piece dating all the way back to 1678, our furniture collection represents pieces manufactured in our area or owned by people who lived here. The collection includes tall case clocks, chests of drawers, tables, chairs, and desks. Displayed throughout our Grant House headquarters, our furniture collection is the finest in the region and well worth a look.
Our collection is far more than furniture, however.
We have outstanding examples of Salem County glass, earthen ware, paintings, china and innumerable decorative arts. The Historical Society collection also contains a significant number of local textiles. The textile collection includes men’s and women’s clothing dating all the way back to colonial times, as well as military uniforms, hats and bonnets, and numerous local quilts. In addition, the Society has one of the largest collections of samplers in the state of New Jersey.
Also at our Grant House headquarters, we feature an outstanding collection of large objects in or barn. This collection includes carriages and buggies, sleighs, a two horse treadmill and a horse drawn hearse. The barn houses a fully equipped blacksmith shop, our extensive collection of Lenni Lenape artifacts, and farm equipment from various periods.
The museum collection of the Salem County Historical Society can be seen without appointment Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 4 p.m.